Broccoli & Cauliflower Gratin Mac ‘n Cheese
Healthy Recipes: Fresh ingredients when available from our Organic Gardens.
Time for Cool Weather Veggie Recipes
An all time favorite comfort food for our residents is good ol’ fashioned Mac ‘n Cheese. Here’s a great way to add some of our wonderful organic broccoli and cauliflower.
- 1 small head broccoli, trimmed into florets
- 1 small head cauliflower trimmed & cut into florets
- 1 lb whole-wheat macaroni or penne
- 2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup finely chopped chives
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & grated or crushed into paste
- A few drops hot sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
1.Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt water and add broccoli and cauliflower florets. Boil for 5 minutes, remove and drain.
2. Add pasta to the water and under cook by about 2 minutes and drain.
3. Meanwhile, combine the sour cream in a large bowl along with the mustard, chives, garlic, hot sauce and salt & pepper, to taste.
4. Add the pasta, cauliflower & broccoli and 2/3 of the cheese. Stir to combine, then transfer to baking dish and cover with the remaining cheese.
5. Cool and chill for a make ahead meal.
6. To heat and eat, put the casserole on baking sheet and bake it in the middle of a preheated 375° oven until deeply golden and bubbly, about 40 to 45 minutes.
Courtesy Rachel Ray—Food Network