The Cranberry Sauce Alternative
Healthy Recipes: Fresh ingredients when available from our Organic Gardens.
Not in love with cranberry sauce or canned cranberry. How about a fun alternative that is quite popular! Every year as Thanksgiving approaches, fans ask NPR’s Susan Stamberg for her mother-in-law’s recipe for cranberry relish. “It sounds terrible but tastes terrific,” Stamberg says. And the other nice thing, you make it ahead and freeze it for Thanksgiving Day! Stamberg says “The relish will be thick, creamy, and shocking pink. (Okay, Pepto Bismol pink, but don’t be afraid.) It has a tangy taste that cuts through and perks up the turkey and gravy. It is also good on next-day turkey sandwiches, and with roast beef.”
Mama Stamberg’s Cranberry Relish Ingredients:
- 2 cups whole raw cranberries, washed
- 1 small onion
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons horseradish from a jar (the red is a bit milder than white)
1. Grind the raw berries and onion together. (Stamberg says, “I use an old-fashioned meat grinder. I’m sure there’s a setting on the food proces-sor that will give you a chunky grind — not a puree.”)
2. Add everything else and mix.
3. Put in a plastic container and freeze.
4. Early Thanksgiving morning, move it from freezer to refrigerator compartment to thaw. (“It should still have some little icy slivers left when you set it out,” advises Stambrg.)
Yield: 1 1/2 pints.